Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Leafs Rumours

Update on what's going on in Toronto. Here are a few blurbs:

- Burke is looking for a depth defensman.
This one doesn't make a ton of sense unless you figure Kaberle is on the way out for sure. So I think a signing like this might be done after Kaberle is dealt. Names that have been mentioned include Bret Lebda, MA Bergeron (played for Burke in Anaheim), Willie Mitchell, Paul Ranger (RFA would be via trade), Freddy Meyer, Shaone Morrison, Jay McKee, and Andy Sutton.

- Tomas Kaberle to LA for Wayne Simmonds and a prospect.
Interesting. Normally I don't read Eklund rumours but I did today and this one might have some legs because its something Bob MacKenzie has talked about before as well, although he said that the Kings were not interested in dealing Simmonds in a deal for Kaberle. Maybe now that the Kovalchuk thing seems to be slipping away and there are no other big names for LA to acquire this could be something they'd consider. If I'm the Leafs I'm not overwhealmed with Simmonds, but depending on who the prospect is (B.Schenn???) It could be worth a real look.

- Beauchemin or Grabovski for Mike Ribeiro.
This is an interesting $ saving move for Dallas, but I don't know if Beauchemin would be available if Kaberle is being dealt. I could see this being a possibility later in the summer if Kaberle is kept past August 15.

- Max Afinogenov to Toronto
I know that Zherdev was reported to not be of interest to Toronto, and I would have to think that this is a false rumour. Although if he hangs around long enough like last summer, I could see this guy being a late summer pick up for the Leafs at the right price.

That's all I could find for now.

No comments: